Recent Biohazard Posts
Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Cleanup
Be READY, Biohazard, Crime Scene, Vandalism, Sewage and Mold Remediation and Restoration
Recognized as a leading fire, water, and mold restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO also offers fast and reliable biohazard, vandalism and crime scene cleanup and restoration services.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO technicians are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO helps turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
Our services cover the following issues:
- Bloodbourne Pathogens: SERVPRO removes and disposes of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substance resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Technicians clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
- Methamphetamine Labs: Many chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs, are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout a structure. SERVPRO follows federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
- Crime Scene Residues: Fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues can be cleaned from surfaces and contents to restore your property.
- Arson and Vandalism: After the fire trucks are gone, your home and belongings likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO has the specialized fire and water damage cleanup and restoration training and experience to quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. We also have specific training and equipment for odor removal and deep cleaning of upholstery and carpet.
- Sewage Backups: Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- Black Water Intrusions: This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation: Mold can produce allergens and irritants and has the potential to cause other health effects. Mold can spread quickly through your home or business in as little as 48 hours. If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If you have any further questions please call SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall at 800-455-9453.
Forensic remediation is a solemn but necessary practice in the field of restoration. If you have ever had the misfortune to discover a deceased family member or loved one, you may not realize how important it is to inquire about forensic remediation services. Forensic remediation can be necessary to restore a home back to preloss conditions. The three main causes of forensic damage are suicide, homicide, and unassisted deaths. An unassisted death occurs with someone expires and the body is not discovered for an extended period of time. When a body sits for an excessive amount of time the advanced stages of decomposition sets in. Unassisted deaths are unfortunately common and more damage to the home can occur the longer a body is allowed to decompose.
The biggest reason to have a professional company such as SERVPRO to perform this service is safety. It cannot be stressed enough how important safety is when it comes to any environment that may deal with blood or other bodily fluids. First and foremost blood is pathogenic. What that means is any fresh blood has the possibility to make you sick. SERVPRO technicians are donned in Tyvek suits, gloves, and full face shields. Having the correct personal protection equipment is crucial when handling any materials affected with blood. There are times when the bereaved enlist volunteers to help clean up the areas whom wear little or no protective gear and are subjecting themselves to a harmful environment. During extreme cases, any illness obtained by volunteers could potentially hold the bereaved liable for damages. When you hire SERVPRO, you needn’t worry about any such complications because SERVPRO educates their employees to be certified in all restorative fields, and each franchise carries various insurances necessary for the restoration field.
Another main reason to outsource this line of work to the professionals at SERVPRO is to insure that you are receiving the most quality of service. Certified technicians will understand what types of materials are salvageable or not depending on how affected the areas are. When blood is pooled on the carpet it is not safe to clean and sanitize the area. The most appropriate step to take is to remove the carpet and pad. Once the carpet and pad has been removed the technicians will now address the sub floor. The sub floor will be cleaned and sanitize with an E.P.A. registered disinfectant and sealed with an antimicrobial sealer. There have been scenarios where the bereaved have tried to clean and sanitized porous materials such as carpet, but then have become sick in the future. If porous materials are only lightly affected by splatter instead of being completely saturated they may be cleaned and sanitized. However, in many instances of cleaning and sanitizing these lightly affected areas still leave an unsightly stain.
After the damage has been assessed, and the areas properly mitigated any soiled materials are then bagged in bio hazard bags and properly discarded and hauled from the work site. A side effect of the deceased can be the odor. SERVPRO has several different pieces of equipment that are designed to handle many types of odors, especially odors that are protein base. Once the technicians are completely finished the affected area is now safe for the bereaved and will allow them to mourn properly without the added stress.
Biohazard & Crime Scene Clean Up
Do you ever stop to wonder who has to clean up the scene after a chemical spill or a death/suicide accident?
If not, you are probably like most and lucky enough to not have needed to consider this type of work. However, if you fall into the other category, you know very well that a hazardous scene must be left to the professionals to clean.
Blood borne pathogens, disease, risk of infection and chemical burns are a just a few items to consider when dealing with a biohazard clean-up. Luckily, our team at SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem and Whitehall is highly trained and well prepared to protect both themselves and you from any potential harm.
Our team also fully understands that these situations are often extremely difficult and sensitive times in a person's life and therefore demonstrate compassion and empathy while completing the work in a timely fashion.
For more information on biohazard clean-up's, please check out the Biohazard Cleaning Section of our website.