Handling Mold in Your Carpet
In areas where the weather is often humid, keeping your carpet dry and free from mold spores and growth can be a challenge. With daily in and out foot traffic, dirt and dust and other contaminants are tracked onto the carpet, and it can be quite a challenge to keep those carpets spotless!
Here are some helpful tips for you to use if you do find mold spots:
- If the carpet or rug can be taken outside, do so as soon as spots are found.
- Sweep the affected area with a broom to loosen the mold growth.
- Vacuum the area to remove as much mold as possible, and empty the vacuum bag into the garbage immediately.
- Using a mixture of dishwashing soap and water, scrub the affected area with the solution.
- Let it dry in the sun, as this is one of the best ways to disinfect material. If you cannot take it outside, pat it dry using dry towels or rags.
You can also use this method for the purpose of cleansing your carpet of mold:
- Scrub the affected areas with a rag soaked in dishwashing detergent and water, or do a base clean with a steam cleaner.
- Using household bleach with a gallon of water, soak the mold patch for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a steam cleaner, suck up the liquid, and then pat the carpet dry or remove outside into the sunshine.
If the mold growth is too much for you to handle on your own, or you would like the assistance of professionals, SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall has the equipment and experience needed to help with any of your mold remediation needs!
The team at SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall is experienced and equipped to help with mold remediation, as well as clean up after a flood and/or fire damage and water damage. Call us today at (800) 455-9453!