Preparing your HVAC Systems for the Cold Weather Ahead
With cold weather rolling in, so is an increased fire risk. Why, you may ask? Home heating systems or temporary heating systems cause serious fire risks and are one of the highest causes of fires in homes. Here are a few tips for you before the cold weather fully hits and heating becomes a must.
- Make sure that your electric or temporary heater is not plugged into a power strip. It should always be plugged directly into a wall
- Do not leave an electric heater unattended
- Inspect HVAC systems to make sure that there is no faulty wiring
- Change the filters in your system
- Be sure to consult your instruction manuals before making any changes to the location or set up of any heating system or portable heaters
To add another level of safety be sure to have smoke alarms installed in your home and test them regularly. Having a home fire extinguisher is also recommended item to keep you and your family safe. Please see the link below for more tips on how to make sure you are ready for this winter.
Information sourced from: https://www.esfi.org/resource/space-heater-safety-tips-146