What To Do When You Smell Natural Gas
What Should You Do If You Smell Natural Gas?
A gas fire or gas explosion runs the risk of destroying property and poses a threat of serious injury. If you smell natural gas, there are five steps that you should take to promote your own safety and that of other people or pets in your home and the surrounding area.
1. Check stoves and gas appliances. If you smell gas, you should make sure that all of the burners on a gas stove and the oven are turned off. Listen for hissing noises around other gas appliances.
2. Keep the lights off. If a large amount of gas is present in your home, turning on a light or powering on an electrical appliance may cause a spark that starts a gas fire or explosion. You may use a battery-operated flashlight when inspecting appliances and potential sources for a leak.
3. Shut off the gas meter. If you cannot stop the source of a gas leak in your home, you can shut off your gas meter by turning the main valve from on to off.
4. Ventilate the interior. Open all of the doors and windows of your home and use fans, if you have them, to remove gases from the interior. This will reduce the risk of explosion, fire, or prolonged exposure.
5. Evacuate and call emergency numbers. Leave your home and call 911 and your gas company to report a leak from a safe distance away, at least across the street.
A leak can cause a gas explosion if a spark is created by electrical equipment in your residence. For this reason, you should have a plan for what to do in the event of a leak and proceed as cautiously as possible. If you do experience a gas fire, you should have residential damage restoration experts in Pen Argyl, PA assess the damage and develop a remediation plan.