Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
If your family has suffered an unexpected fire, whether its from seasonal decorative lights catching fire or a holiday dinner gone awry, our team is available 24/7 to help you after fire damage. Even on holidays, our team at SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall is ready to restore and cleanup your home or business. Before our team arrives, see the below tips on what to do after fire damage.
Above all else, safety should be your number one priority. Do not enter the affected area or damage property until your local fire department has given the "all clear."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (610) 559-9380
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.