Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Easton, Bethlehem and Whitehall understands the stress and chaos that water damage can bring to your property in Bethlehem, PA. After any size water damage situation, your primary focus should be the safety of your family. The first question you want to ask yourself, "Is it safe to stay in the house?" Potential electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns. Give the professionals a call at the first sign of water damage to ensure safety of the property. Do not try to do things alone, ensure it is safe for you to perform and don't lift wet material as it can be heavy. Following these few tips as you wait for help from the professionals can help prevent further damage.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (610) 559-9380
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.